Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April Update

My 10mm Hittites for Warmaster Ancients.

I have to apologize for the long break between posts. Ok, that's done. It turns out that I lost the power cable for my ancient Sony digital camera, and lost the ability to take pictures at games. I have now taken possession of a new Canon Powershot camera, with greatly improved macro and memory features. So let the posting begin again.

I do have a few shots from some games earlier this year, so I'll post them now before taking new ones. At the end of last year, the WFHGS group held our mini-tournament for Warmaster Ancients. Three rounds in 5 hours. My goal for this year was simple. I had added a guard unit to my 10mm Hittites, which have never won any battles so far. Having won the tournament last year borrowing Matt's Seleucid army, I determined this year to win at least one game with my Hittites. I succeeded in my goal, beating Matt's Indian army with successful Chariot charges on the flank. I actually came close to winning in the other rounds as well.


Hittites being defeated by Seleucids.

The Seven Years War is a favorite period of mine, and Gary Rhay is quite the opponent. I'm afraid my Prussians did not fare so well in a game of Age of Reason played down at the GAJO store.


15mm SYW Austrians deployed.


15mm Prussians deployed.


The flank that was lost. Waves of cavalry attacks doomed the Prussian right flank.

Of course Flames of War gets played a lot with the Saturday Night Skirmish group. But my FOW pics are of two GAJO events. During the 600-point tournament, I won my first ever official FOW-style game (that is, I usually game with scenarios instead of the published missions) when my late-war British Infantry defeated a Soviet horde. I was subsequently whipped by two German panzer forces. Unforgettable was a moment when a Goliath remote device exploded the building housing my CO, only to see the CO spared but the rubble collapse on the Exec outside the building!


FOW 15mm. Game 3. British infantry dug in in the woods, as well as mortars by the road.


Brumbars and panzer grenadiers prepare their attack.

I also managed to get in a game of Age of Dreadnoughts with the WFHGS group. Using small battleship forces in 1/6000, we managed to get through some firing turns and see some damage to the leading ships. Unfortunately we ran out of time, and I think we'll be looking to play this again.


A dreadnought takes severe damage.

Finally, I have a couple of photos of a game of Black Powder, playing the ACW in 15mm and umpired by Mike Cannon. He prepared a very good scenario that was a lot of fun for the SNS guys. Most of us enjoy using these rules now.


15mm Rebs under my command moving through fields and along roads.


Decisive moment. Reb cavalry capture the erratic wagon.

Unfortunately, one of the objectives for the game was lost by me. It seems that Jefferson Davis' personal supply of fine liquors was traveling down a road, with the driver apparently drunk and aimless. Although I captured the wagon at first, Union cavalry drove me away. During an attempt to recapture the prize, a stray shot (no doubt from the Yankees-- couldn't have been me ;) )hit the wagon and set the alcohol on fire, destroying the prize. The game continued, despite a great deal of good-natured ribbing from players on BOTH sides.

Well that does it for this posting. Soon I'll have pictures with the new Canon.

No comments:

Post a Comment